MISSED THE CLOTHING DROP-OFF DEADLINE? No problem! BRING your clothes to the event!
It’s SWAP time in Calgary again! The 5th installment of the Take Off Your Clothes Clothing SWAP event is set to be held from 11am-5pm on Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 at Hotel Arts (thanks to your suggestions, we found a bigger and better venue for this year!). For those of you who don’t already know about the Take Off Your Clothes event, it is an event put on by a non-profit organization called The SWAP Team. Attend this semi-annual event to freshen up your closet, check out the Calgary fashion iscene, support your community AND on top of all of that; do good for the environment!
Here’s the concept – Attendees bring pieces (women’s and men’s shoes, accessories, clothing, etc.) from their closets to swap for new items. For every item donated that meets our criteria (clean and in good repair and “fashionable” – including unique, current, or vintage pieces) individuals will receive 1 ticket which can be exchanged for another piece in the “swappers boutique”. Any items that are left over are donated to our charity partners (Goodwill Industries of Alberta and more…)
Get ready to swap in 4 simple steps:
1. BUY your ticket (above) now
(a limited number of tickets will be available at the door, don’t wait!)
2. BAG your clothes – download, print and fill out this handy label and attach it to every bag of clean and folded clothing you’d like to swap.
(Want to know what not to swap? Click here for some tips)
3. DROP OFF your clothes at one of our participating drop-off sponsors (see depot locations/hours below)
4. COME to the event, pick up your exchange coupons and start swapping!
CLOTHING DROP-OFF LOCATIONS (DEPOTS):
233 10th St SW, Calgary, AB (Kensignton)
Tues.-Sat. 11am – 7pm
Sun. 11am – 6pm
A Vintage Affair
638 11th Ave. SW, Calgary, AB (Beltline)
Mon.-Sat. 10am – 5:30pm
Sun. – 12pm-4pm
Dick & Janes
831 17th Ave SW, Calgary, AB
Mon.-Wed. Sun 11am – 6pm
Thu.-Sat. 11am – 8pm
**You can also meet us at Confederation Park between April 28 and June 2 (inclusive) to drop off your clothes, contact us to arrange for a pick up, or bring them to the event.
We do not accept:
Due to space limitations, we are not able to accept children’s clothes for this event. Feel free to bring them to us in a separate bag marked “CHILDRENS” for donation to Goodwill (you will not receive tickets for these items and they will not be placed in the swap boutique).
Bathrobes, pajamas, t-shirts, underwear, lingerie, swimwear, tank tops, socks, leggings or stockings. Likewise, we do not issue exchange tickets for ripped, faded, torn, stained, scratched, dirty, frayed, missing buttons, broken zippers or otherwise worn/damaged items. Items received that fail to meet these standards will be donated to Goodwill Industries of Alberta for recycling.
New additions to the 2012 event:
- Larger venue
- Bringing back the designer/boutique photo shoot (stay tuned to our Facebook page for photos of the pieces you can look forward to winning in a raffle at our event!)
- On-site stylist
- On-site designer boutique where designers can show their collection, take orders and more…
- For the last few events, we’ve grown our plus-sized section and will work to expand it further this time around
- We’re always open to taking suggestions – if you have a great idea that you’d like to see incorporated at our event, let us know, we’ll do our best to accommodate!
We couldn’t do this event without the support of our sponsors: Feisty Consignment, Rewind Consignment, A Vintage Affair, Eleven:Eleven Boutique, Mark Derry Photography, Diva Direct, Two Towers Entertainment and more…
Boutiques and Designers (and anyone else who would like to sponsor!) – if you’re interested in getting involved in the event in exchange for publicity, please let us know ASAP! We’re really excited about this one and would love to work with you!
Also, “like” The SWAP Team on Facebook to keep up on our happenings in Calgary and other parts of North America all year round!
Vanessa & Stacey
Vanessa Erickson & Stacey Savage
Calgary Chapter Co-Directors
The SWAP Team
28,276+ garments swapped
31,948+ garments given to charities
60,224+ garments kept out of our landfills … and counting!