Are you concerned about the environment, the impact that overconsumption has on our planet, and a numbers person? Are you a doer who is up for playing a key role in helping an innovative nonprofit to scale up its impact and operating budget?
The SWAP Team is looking for a new Board Treasurer to help it grow!
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the nonprofit as it evolves into a charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements and report to the board of directors at regular intervals about the financial health of the organization.
Oversee the financial matters of the charity:
• Oversee, and present budgets, accounts, management accounts and financial statements to the board of directors
• Ensure that proper accounts and records are kept, ensuring financial resources are spent and invested in line with the charity’s policies, good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
• Develop and implement financial, reserves and investment policies
• Act as a counter‐signatory on charity cheques and any applications for funds
Assume a leadership role on board committee or initiatives related to financial matters:
• Maintain sound financial management of the charity’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with the charity’s objects.
• Implement and monitor specific financial controls and systems are in place accordingly and adhered to
• Develop and Chair any finance committee as needed, in line with standing orders and terms of reference, and report back to the board of directors. Advise on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan
• Liaise with the charity’s secretary, where applicable, to ensure that the charity’s annual accounts are compliant with the CRA guidelines.
• Contribute to the fundraising strategy of the organization.
• Liaise with the charity’s auditors or independent examiner, where appropriate. Monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the charity after liaising with the charity’s auditors.
Ensure the financial components of the T3010B Information Return are completed in an accurate and timely manner:
• Be aware of CRA policies/regulatory requirements with respect to financial compliance.
• Clarify confusion over financial issues related to CRA expectations to ensure financial decisions do not place the charity in a vulnerable position for sanctions.
• Ensure all required financial records are available to support CRA reporting expectations and can be effectively transferred to the appropriate T3010B reporting lines.
• Ensure the board of directors is properly involved in reviewing and approving the information related to the T3010B Information Return before submitting to CRA.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
We are looking for an experienced financial and strategic planner who doesn’t hesitate to step up and take the reins where needed.
- Minimum 2 years experience as Board Treasurer at a nonprofit or charity with an annual operating budget of $200,000 or higher.
- Ability and commitment to fulfill duties for a 2-year term.
- CA or CPA a plus.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Located in the Calgary, Alberta area a plus.
Please submit your CV to: info (at) theswapteam (dot) org.
We look forward to hearing from you, and will reply to all qualified candidates.
Aleece & Kimberly